1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?: I went to a convention and met Matt Smith and lots of other lovely people. I also saw Dar Williams perform live for the first time after being a fan of hers for over ten years.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?: I’m not sure I made any last year. If I make ones this year I think they’ll be ‘meet up with more internet people’, ‘be more pro-active with making friends’ and maybe ‘learn to drive’.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No.
4. Did anyone close to you die? No.
5. What countries did you visit? Scotland. That counts, right?
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012? A romantic relationship. Same as I said last year.
7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? 15-17th June. The 11th Hour convention.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Going to the 11th Hour con by myself. Meeting up with Tumblr people there. And being the one to send a message to Hannah and going up to her at the con itself and saying ‘Hi there, are you Hannah?’ rather than sitting by myself wishing I had the courage to talk to her.
9. What was your biggest failure? Still being in the same job, house and relationship status as I was this time last year.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Not really.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Tickets to the 11th Hour. And my iPad.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration? My friends.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed? No one I can think of. Although my manager has managed to annoy pretty much everybody at work now.
14. Where did most of your money go? The 11th Hour. The ticket itself cost quite a bit and then there were train tickets, the hotel, pictures, autographs, and food and drink, so it ended up costing a lot of money. Totally worth it though. Also Edinburgh and Christmas.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Meeting Matt Smith and Tumblr people at the convention. Also the new series of Doctor Who. And seeing Dar Williams.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?. I think I have to say Gangnam Style, because despite never having watched the video or listened to the song myself I’ve seen so many people do the dance and heard so many clips of the song that I feel I know it well. It was pretty much inescapable in the latter half of 2012.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? I’m not sure. About the same.
ii. thinner or fatter? Possibly a bit fatter.
iii. richer or poorer? I feel poorer, but I’m hoping that the money I’ve been saving means I’m actually richer.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Productive, life-changing things.
19.What do you wish you'd done less of? Worrying.
20. How will you be spending Christmas? I spent it at home with my family. We drank alcohol, opened presents, watched TV (Doctor Who was brilliant. Downton Abbey was traumatising), and ate lots of food.
22. Did you fall in love in 2012? As usual, no.
23. How many one-night stands? Nil.
24. What was your favourite TV program? Doctor Who.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? Don’t think so.
26. What was the best book you read? I see from my answers to last year’s meme that I was reading Moll Flanders at the time, which means I must have finished it in this year, and so I will say Moll Flanders as my answer.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? Florence + the Machine.
28. What did you want and get? The Lego Death Star. And to go to a convention and meet Matt Smith.
29. What did you want and not get? A relationship. And to meet Alex Kingston.
30. What was your favourite film of this year? I didn’t see many films this year. I think The Hunger Games was the only one I went to the cinema for. I did get Brave on blu-ray for Christmas and I’m really looking forward to watching it.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I was 29. On my birthday itself I played board games with Mum then sat on the patio with my family drinking champagne and listening to the CDs Rob got me. Then I went to London to go for cocktails with my best friend and take a ride on the Emirates Airline.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? A romantic relationship. I say that every year. One day I’ll actually get one. Maybe.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012? Fandom dressy.
34. What kept you sane? Friends, both in person and online. TV. The internet.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Matt Smith and Alex Kingston. Same as last year.
36. What political issue stirred you the most? I’d probably have to say the American election. The fact that Romney had even the tiniest chance of beating Obama was, quite frankly, terrifying.
37. Who did you miss? The Wednesday crew.
38. Who was the best new person you met? I loved meeting Caro and Hannah at the 11th Hour. And I love how many new Tumblr friends I’ve made in the last few months. I may not have met them in person, but I’m still counting it.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012: Making an effort to be sociable with people even if it scares you really can work out brilliantly.
40. Song lyrics that best sum up your year?: “This is my house, and it’s fine. It’s where I spend the vast majority of my time. It’s not perfect, but it’s mine.” – Time Minchin ‘Not Perfect’
Happy New Year to everyone who's in 2012 with me!
Thanks for that, subconscious.
I often complain on here about how I'm not really a proper grown-up.
I think he's judging me.
I went to the dentist this morning.
*hugs laptop protectively*
I just really hope this goes well and my attempt at being braver and more sociable doesn't blow up in my face and leave me feeling even worse.
Things that have happened this week:
I'm not quite sure how this happened but I'll take it.
I have just eaten cake in honour of the Jubilee
He can pull my hair any time he likes! :D
I'm a bad person.
Anyone here like Dar Williams?
I've had too much champagne to care at the moment.
So... you may remember that a few weeks ago I asked if anyone wanted to see Dar Williams with me cos she was coming to London and I've loved her music for well over ten years now but never had the chance to see her before.
I see I'm not alone in drifting away from this site though, so if I do end up posting every day I'll probably end up filling your friends pages with nothing but my pointless ramblings.
So nobody came trick-or-treating yesterday.
Time for a Christmas theme!
I hope you're all having/had a wonderful day!
I didn’t post anything in August! But was apparently very verbose in October.